Available Now. (30 day access)
All things batteries will be taught in context of valuation, design, procurement, and operations with an instructor who is recognized as a leading world expert and practitioner with many years of experience with batteries. The advantage of this online training program is that you receive through multi-modules a comprehensive and detailed set of insights of the latest on Grid Batteries with perspectives on markets, regulatory, policy, suppliers, use cases, valuation, design, procurement, commissioning, operations, and advances in software.
This proven online training program features the same material used in our popular in-person classroom seminar. Register today and join the over 10,000 industry professionals who trust us for their energy training needs.
Who Should Attend
Among those who will benefit from this training program include energy and electric power executives; attorneys; government regulators; traders & trading support staff; marketing, sales, purchasing & risk management personnel; accountants & auditors; plant operators; engineers; and corporate planners.
Types of companies that typically attend this program include energy producers and marketers; utilities; banks & financial houses; industrial companies; accounting, law firms; municipal utilities; government regulators and electric generators.
Prerequisites and Advance Preparation
This fundamental online training program has no prerequisites. No advance preparation is required.
How This Online Course Works
Get the best of both worlds with this blended learning approach.
1: Learn at your own pace and on your own schedule as you first enjoy the on-demand seminar presentation. Speed up, slow down, or repeat sections of the presentation. It's your choice.
2: After you complete the presentation join us for one of our regularly scheduled live online Q&A sessions. A calendar of live Q&A dates and times is provided in the program access instructions you will receive You can also email your questions directly to the instructor. Additional Information
You will receive immediate online access to each on-demand training presentation. The audio for the online presentation is only available through your computer or other Internet connected device.
Our on-demand training presentation is an Internet-streamed training program that can be viewed on your computer, tablet, smartphone, or other Internet connected device using one or more Internet connections. No software needs to be installed. Just click the link we send you.
You will also receive PDFs of all presentation materials in case you want to print or keep a copy. Just click the link in the access directions to print the slides.On-Demand Access Time
The on-demand training presentations are available for a total of 30 days from the time any one of the training presentations is first accessed. After 30 days, your access to the on-demand presentations will expire. However the PDF formatted training program slides and other documents you receive are yours to keep.
InstructorDr. Randell Johnson, CEO Acelerex
Dr. Johnson has expertise and experience in the Valuation, Design, Procurement, and Operations of Grid Batteries
Dr. Johnson has been involved in the Energy Storage Road Map for the Maldives, Bermuda Energy Storage Sizing Study, New York Energy Storage Road Map, Massachusetts State of Charge Study, MISO Energy Storage Study, Ontario Energy Storage Study, and numerous other energy storage studies. He was selected by the World Bank to study 100% carbon-free grids with energy storage and Acelerex software and methods were selected by the International Agency for increasing penetration of renewables with energy storage. Dr. Johnson has invented and developed software for battery analytics and battery real time control. He is expert at power markets and valuation of energy storage to maximize utilization of existing transmission systems and co-optimization of transmission and other resources in addition of co-optimization of energy and ancillary services. A Harvard Business Case has been written for energy storage that includes methods pioneered by Dr. Johnson.
Dr. Johnson holds a Ph.D. in Power Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and an MS in Economics from Cass Business School, UK, and a Utility Corporate Finance Certificate for Gas and Electric Utilities from UConn Business School. Dr. Johnson has background in strategy, regulatory finance, economic optimizations, quantitative finance, electricity and energy markets, public policy, technical grid design, real-time optimizations, and high-performance computing.
Session 1: Energy Storage Roadmap Planning and Policy Approaches
107 minutes - Available NowWhat You Will Learn
- Overview of battery technologies
- Current battery trends
- Battery Energy Storage use cases like Energy Arbitrage, Spinning Reserve, Non-Sync Spinning Reserve, Regulation, Operating Reserve, Renewables Integration, EV Charging, Frequency Response, Black Start, and Others
- Policy case studies with Energy Storage CA, MA, NY and others
- Microgrids and Island Grids Roadmap Planning and Policies
- Policy Approach’s and Mechanisms
- Regulatory metrics
Session 2: Sizing and Designing Battery Energy Storage
95 minutes - Available Now.What You Will Learn
- Grid batteries why?, when?, where?, and how much?
- Incorporation of Batteries in Transmission Planning, Distribution Planning and Integrated Resource Plans (IRPs)
- Cooling, connection analysis, cycling, augmentation, balance of plant, standards, communication systems, software, testing
- Design considerations for battery projects such as augmentation
- Alternative Analysis Capacity Investment Analysis with BESS
- Production cost hourly and sub-hourly for BESS dispatch
- Stacked Services Emulator for temporal and simultaneous use cases
Session 3: Battery Energy Storage Valuation Techniques
95 minutes - Available Now.
What You Will Learn
- Alternative Analysis of answering the Why, Where, When and How Much questions
- Production Cost for dispatch and analysis of batteries
- Stacked Services Emulator for co-optimization valuation of batteries in competitive markets
- Battery Energy Storage valuation streams like Capacity deferral, fuel savings, VO&M savings, FO&M Savings, Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary Reserve Savings, Frequency Response, Black Start, T&D deferral, Cost to Load savings
- Cost Analysis with efficiency, cycles per day and cycles per year, losses, fade, augmentation, energy costs, capital costs, EPC costs, FOM, VOM, Battery End of Life Costs, others
- Grid Battery Market Revenue Calculations: ERCOT, PJM, ISO-NE, NYISO, CAISO, IESO, AESO, SPP, MISO
- Calculating frequency response and ancillary services revenues
- Valuation of Capacity Value
- Cost and benefit analysis for storage
- Detailed financial models for batteries including NPV, IRR, payback, gearing, and others
- Assessment Techniques for Hybrid Battery Systems paired with Flow Batteries, Thermal Plant and RenewablesCalculating PPA pricing for renewables plus batteries
Session 4: Bess Procurement and Bidding Strategies
95 minutes - Available Now.
What You Will Learn
- The good, the bad, and the ugly of battery vendors
- Insights into the good, the bad, and the ugly for inverters
- Power batteries and Energy Batteries, LFP, Conventional Lithium Ion, Flow Batteries, others
- Battery characteristics and costs
- Bid Strategy working with battery vendors
- Procurement Strategies
- EPC, IPP, Storage-as-a-service,
- Origination documents, connection agreements
- Procurement auctions, bid strategy, auctions results, supply and demand, competitive differences
- Review of innovative ownership models and how to price them
- Stylized facts of auctions for procurement of batteries
Session 5: BESS Commissioning and Performance Testing
90 minutes - Available Now
What You Will Learn
- Use-cases and Performance Compliance
- Battery testing standards as part of the commissioning of battery projects
- Advance battery controls and automation
- Testing Protocols
- Testing Signals
- Battery Communication Systems
- IoT Testing Analyzer and Data Collection
- Examples of Live Battery Projects and Operational Data
Session 6: Forecasting, AI, and Blockchain Applications for Bess
90 minutes - Available NowWhat You Will Learn
- Artificial Intelligence applications for battery dispatch
- Nodal long-term forecasting for battery valuation
- AI predictions for solar, wind, demand and electricity prices
- Block Chain Performance Management for Batteries
- Big Data Analytics approaches to scanning for battery value across 1000’s of nodes
- Data mining algorithms
- Parallelization of battery analytics algorithms
- Cloud Computing